February 24, 2017
To All Parent Volunteers;
If you plan to volunteer at Pomfret Community School at anytime, please submit the “Volunteer Information Form” which is attached. It is required per school policy #1212.
The Pomfret Community School has identified two categories of volunteers: Caregory I and Category II.
Volunteers will be classified in Category I when they assist school staff members with school activities in the presence of a Pomfret Community School employee. Category I volunteers will be required to complete the Category 1 Volunteer Information Form and may be required to submit to records checks required of Category II Volunteers at the discretion of the administration. Category I volunteers are those who assist school staff members with school activities such as those listed below:
- a. assisting in a classroom, cafeteria, or library when a staff member is present; or
- b. Accompanying a class on a field trip during the school day with a staff member; or
- c. Helping in the school office during regular school hours; or
- d. Assisting in the cafeteria or library during regular school hours; or
- e. Assisting during extracurricular events, i.e., dances, fairs, open house, sporting events, etc.
Volunteers will be classified in Category II when they provide services to students when not in the direct presence of a Pomfret Community School employee. Category II volunteers will be required to complete the Category 2 Volunteer Information Form and such volunteers will be required to submit to a record check of the Department of Children and Families (DCF) Abuse and Neglect Registry. A criminal background check may be required at the discretion of the administration. Category II volunteers are those who engage in activities such as those listed below:
- a. accompanying a class on a field trip in which the plans include that students be divided into small groups supervised solely by the volunteer chaperone for any length of time; or’
- b. Chaperoning an overnight field trip; or
- c. Working in direct contact with students without the direct presence of a Pomfret Community School employee; or
- d. Working as a student intern; or
- e. Coaching
Susan Imschweiler, Principal